This weekend I had the fantastic opportunity to take in a few of the sessions from the 2011 Willow Creek Association Global Leadership Summit. We organized a small gathering at our church to take in some great leadership wisdom with some of our ministry volunteers.
The summit is always awesome. This year I spent most of my time taking it in from the sound booth. I always underestimate the speakers at the summit. Partly because half the time I’ve never heard of them, and the other half of the time…well, I have no excuse for the other half.
Today I would like to share with you some of the insights and thoughts from a few of the speakers. So, from my vantage point in the sound booth I bring you…
Caleb’s Summit Snippets
Bill Hybels – 5 Critical Questions
author of “The Power of a Whisper”
1. What is your current leadership challenge level?
- Are you under challenged? (not good)
- Are you appropriately challenged? (pretty good spot to be in)
- Are you over challenged? (hard to keep that up and stay human)
- The best place to be is just above appropriately challenged, so that you’re pushing yourself, but not killing yourself.
2. What Is Your Plan For Dealing With Challenging People In Your Organization?
- Willow Creek has an aggressive but well thought out plan for this. I think it depends on the size of your organization and every situation is different. Do you have a plan?
- If you don’t deal with challenging people then you are in danger of de-motivating your good people
3. Are You Naming, Facing, and Resolving the organizational problems that exist?
- …because you’ve got to.
4. When Is The Last Time You Re-examined the Core of What Your Organization Is All About?
- We are in the life transformation business
- What 5 words would you use to describe Christianity (the Gospel)? – I encourage you to do this
5. What if you made your next 5 years of ministry your best?
- LOVE THIS! Why wouldn’t you? Or are you too worn out? Have you lost sight of your purpose? Have you lost your love for the game?
If you’d like to see the rest of my notes from the other sessions click HERE
I’d love to hear some of your thoughts if you’d like to share in the comments section.